How to make an orchid bloom? 6 helpful tips (part 2)
4. Replace the pot It is very important to choose the right capacity in which the orchid will grow. Most often, orchids in indoor conditions are grown in plastic pots.…

Continue reading →

List of the best spicy orchids (part 1)
1. Cymbidium mosquito Cymbidium mosquito (Cymbidium ensifolium) - the most honeyed of all orchids and the most popular of cymbidiums. This is a very elegant sympodial type orchid with poorly…

Continue reading →

Brassia
Almost all brassia (Brassia) smell sweet-cloying, but very difficult. They pleasantly surprise with the ability to envelop in a romantic cloud any medium room. The exception is the light aroma…

Continue reading →

7 most original indoor orchids

Orchids never go out of style. Although these delightful tropicans retain the status of special and moody plants, today they are found in almost every interior. True, it makes sense to talk about their wide distribution only in the context of a single species – phalaenopsis. But the butterfly orchid, and other species with the unpretentious status, the assortment of indoor orchids is not limited. At exhibitions and in flower shops, albeit less often, there are surprisingly original beauties that strike with leaves and flowering.

Orchid Leptotes (Leptotes)
Big flaws and significant advantages of “not such” orchids
Whatever kind of orchid is discussed, the status of an unusual, original plant is almost inevitably associated with their moodiness. It is no coincidence that the phalaenopsis and Co. became so popular and widespread that they won over 90% of the “market”. Popular – means suitable for most. About the remaining 10% of orchids that can be grown as houseplants, it is impossible to say that they are suitable even for beginners.

Original orchids are not necessarily over-capricious or suitable only for flower display cases or florarium. But the decision to plant such orchids is only for those who have at least the experience of growing species “simpler”, as well as after the initial acquaintance with these plants, which are special in every way.

Non-standard, special requirements for cultivation and care are the main drawback of the original orchids. But do not immediately write down all kinds of difficult to grow. They simply cannot be satisfied with the usual room parameters, and for flowering they need to create certain conditions, and the classical approach will have to be changed to individual care.
Among orchids, considered rare and unusual, there are species growing in the soil, and epiphytes. But usually for all originals, a very high humidity is required, which is the most difficult moment in the cultivation of rare and valuable indoor species. But in practice it is much more problematic – providing the temperature difference so necessary for them at night and during the day, without which it will be very difficult to achieve flowering in any “not such” orchid.
Orchid Brassia (Brassia)
But the flaws of a purely practical sense for all orchid lovers are compensated by their catchy appearance. Unusual orchids look like precious jewelry, outlandish tropical rarities, bright exotics. They offer to admire endlessly on the details of the structure, evaluate the non-standard shape and interesting details. In contrast to the usual orchids and those familiar to everyone, bright originals are designed to delight, riveting everyone’s attention. And when they bloom, there is no better accent for the interior.

The different type of flowers and leaves of orchids, which is sometimes characteristic not even for individual species, but for individual varieties, should not be misleading: in their structure all orchids are the same. Three sepals and three corolla petals above them, the middle of which usually forms a lip (labellum) – these are all, even the most extravagant orchids. And all the more surprising is their amazing variety and variability. Let’s get to know more closely the seven original indoor orchids that deserve no less attention than phalaenopsis, dendrobiums and venus slippers.

We fight with a white coating on the orchid
Why does white plaque appear on orchids? There are two common possible causes: a fungal infection (powdery mildew) or an attack by a pest (powdery mealybug). Why the problem arises…

...

Brassia
Almost all brassia (Brassia) smell sweet-cloying, but very difficult. They pleasantly surprise with the ability to envelop in a romantic cloud any medium room. The exception is the light aroma…

...

7 beginner orchid care tips for beginners (part 1)
Passion for orchids is rightly called a very special field of floriculture. These amazing plants are so unique in their growth form, and in the type of rhizome, and in…

...

7 most original indoor orchids
Orchids never go out of style. Although these delightful tropicans retain the status of special and moody plants, today they are found in almost every interior. True, it makes sense…

...